Thursday, July 19, 2007


Soldier’s counsel offers advice for troops facing boards

Editor’s note: This article is provided by the WRAMC Soldiers’ Counsel Office as general information only. It is provided as a service to Soldiers in the Medcial Evaluation Board and Physical Evaluation Board processes. Soldiers seeking more information should call 782-5812 to make an appointment to speak with a Soldier’s counsel.

The Physical Evaluation Board (PEB) is responsible for determining whether a Soldierís illness or injuries prevent the Soldier from performing their primary military occupational specialty (PMOS), or basic Soldier skills. When the PEB determines that a Soldierís condition prevents the Soldier from performing his or her duties, the Soldier is recommended for discharge. If the Physical Disability Agency (PDA) approves the recommendation then the Soldier is discharged. If the condition is compensable then the Soldier will receive severance pay or a pension, depending on the severity of the Soldierís condition. However, the Soldier will not continue military service.

If you are an injured Soldier referred to the MEB and PEB processes and you want to continue your military career then you should do the following things to show you are ìfitî:

  • Talk to your chain of command, including your unit commander. Tell them you want to be found ìfit.î Ask for letters of support.

  • Talk to your doctors. Tell your doctors all of the things that you can do despite your condition. Make sure that your doctors understand your condition and the physical or psychological limitations it does NOT impose.

  • Review your physical profile and ensure it is accurate. Overly restrictive profiles should be identified to your command and your doctor.

  • Perform PMOS duties. Documented performance of PMOS duties, or similar duties, while awaiting your MEB and PEB results, will help to show that you can perform your duties despite your condition.

  • Take and pass an Army Phyiscal Fitness Test.

    The foregoing is general advice which is useful in many cases. However, each Soldierís case is unique. Soldiers should request additional guidance regarding their individual cases from their servicing Soldierís Counsel Office.

  • advertisement