Friday, April 20, 2001

Soldiers can request to stay put for child's senior year

In December, the Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel approved a procedure to allow soldiers with high school seniors to request stabilization from PCS movement during the child's senior year. This is a soldier-initiated action.

Enlisted soldiers and officers who are on assignment instructions with family members who will be high school seniors in the 2001-2002 school year may request stabilization through the end of the school year.

Submit requests to PERSCOM no later than May 30 by initiating a DA Form 4187 requesting stabilization through their unit commander to their servicing PSB/MPD. The DA Form 4187 must include:

1. the high school senior's name and social security number (must be enrolled in DEERS)

2. a letter or memo (attached to the DA Form 4187) from the school with projected graduation date of the high school senior

3. Enlisted soldiers must indicate any scheduled training during the high school academic year (in other words, TDY in route) on the DA Form 4187. Officers on assignment instructions with TDY training in route or who are scheduled to attend a PCS school, must contact their branch assignment officer to reschedule the training if class dates are available.

4. OCONUS soldiers whose DEROS is prior to requested stabilization date must include the following statement: "I will extend my foreign service tour to meet the stabilization requirement. Based on my new DEROS, I understand that I must still meet the required time remaining in service requirement to be eligible for reassignment to CONUS."

Requests beyond the 2001-2002 school year must be submitted 12 months prior to the beginning of the school year (for instance, when the senior year begins September 2002, submit requests no later than September 2001, the start of the high school student's junior year).

When the PSB/MPD receives a request, staff will verify information requirements, submit deletion or deferment through EDAS for soldiers on assignment instructions and include the following statement: "Soldier requesting stabilization due to high school senior family member (include child's name and SSN), verification on file," and for enlisted soldiers, fax the stabilization request to Commander, PERSCOM, ATTN: TAPC-EPC-O, 2461 Eisenhower Ave., Alexandria at DSN 221-6636; for officers, verify there is a valid open officer distribution plan supported position on the installation that the officer can fill, to include branch immaterial positions and forward to Commander, PERSCOM, ATTN: Appropriate Career Branch (Infantry, Signal, Finance, for instance), Alexandria, Va. 22332.

EPMD and OPMD will, to the greatest extent possible, approve stabilization requests. In cases where soldiers have been placed on assignment instructions to a dependent-restricted tour, to a PCS school (Sergeant's Major Academy for instance), to attend scheduled TDY training or have unique circumstances, EPMD will carefully consider these requests on a case-by-case basis. If the stabilization request is approved, the soldier will have a termination date 30 days after the student's graduation date.

Requests for officers on assignment instructions to a dependent-restricted tour will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Officers who are scheduled to attend a PCS school (Command and Staff College for instance) will also be considered on a case-by-case basis.

The directors of enlisted and officer personnel have disapproval authority.

For more information regarding enlisted personnel stabilization, call Shirley Hodge at (703) 325-2738/6099; for officer personnel, call Donny Dennis at (703)325-5191.